fulcrum n : the pivot about which a lever turns [also: fulcra (pl)]
EtymologyFrom fulcrum, from fulcio.
the pivot about which a lever turns
- Danish: understøttelsespunkt
- Dutch: draaipunt
- Finnish: tukipiste (1)
- French: point d'appui
- German: Angelpunkt (1), Drehpunkt (1)
- Ido: apog-punto, pivoto
- Italian: fulcro (1)
- Japanese: 支点 (してん, shiten)
- Norwegian: dreiepunkt, dreiningspunkt, hvilepunkt, omdreiningspunkt
- Portuguese: ponto de apoio
- Spanish: pivote , punto de apoyo , fulcro
- English: fulcrum
Fulcrum may refer to one of the following.
- A fulcrum is the support or point of support (pivot) on which a lever turns in raising or moving something around.
- Fulcrum Wheels, a bicycle wheel manufacturer, based in Italy (owned by Campagnolo), which manufactures wheels for Campy, Shimano, and SRAM drivetrains
- fulcrum (drumming), part of a percussionist's grip.
- MiG-29 Fulcrum, a Soviet fighter aircraft.
- Fulcrum (Anglican Think Tank), A Church of England think tank representing the Evangelical Centre of the CofE.
- Fulcrum (newspaper), a student newspaper at the University of Ottawa.
- Fulcrum (annual), a United States literary periodical, an annual of poetry and aesthetics.
- Fulcrum Technologies was a Canadian fulltext search engine vendor who was acquired by PC Docs, who was then acquired by Hummingbird, who is now part of Open Text Corporation.
- There are many other companies that use Fulcrum in their name, including another Fulcrum Technologies which has no relation to the search engine company.
- Fulcrum is the name of the enemy spy organization on the television show Chuck.
advocate, alpenstock, arbor, arm, athletic supporter, axis, axle, axle bar, axle shaft, axle spindle, axle-tree, back, backbone, backing, bandeau, bearer, bearing, bra, brace, bracer, bracket, brassiere, buttress, cane, carrier, cervix, corset, crook, crutch, distaff, foundation garment, gimbal, girdle, gudgeon, guy, guywire, hinge, hingle, hub, jock, jockstrap, mainstay, maintainer, mandrel, mast, nave, neck, oarlock, pin, pintle, pivot, pole, prop, radiant, reinforce, reinforcement, reinforcer, rest, resting place, resting point, rigging, rowlock, shoulder, shroud, spindle, spine, sprit, staff, standing rigging, stave, stay, stick, stiffener, strengthener, support, supporter, sustainer, swivel, thole, tholepin, trunnion, upholder, walking stick